tgtravels

This is a blog about my travels. My "regular" life is much too boring to bother blogging about.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Asheville, Day 2

Today I made a big decision: I've resolved to read rather than lecture for my NASSH presentation. The lecture style just wasn't working: there was just too much stuttering, too many pauses, too much nervousness. Reading from a prepared text is much easier, and has the added bonus of not needing any more preparation. So rather than spend the next few days worrying and giving myself an ulcer, I'll get to actually enjoy the conference. Assuming it doesn't suck.

I wish I had made that decision earlier, because I just wasted two nights in Asheville prepping for a presentation I'm no longer giving. I did some decent wandering today though, and some damn good eating. Had breakfast as a local southern joint, and had eggs, sausage, grits, a biscuit and fruit. The place came recommended, but I wasn't really impressed with it. The grits were plain (completely unacceptable) and the biscuit likely wasn't homemade. For shame. Lunch was much, much, much, much better. I went to a BBQ joint in some industrial park called 12 Bones and had an entire rack of ribs, jalapeno and cheese grits, collard greens and cornbread. Hog heaven. Asheville isn't considered a great BBQ city, but I honestly can't imagine pork being cooked any better.

The only problem with eating southern BBQ is that you inevitably feel like shit afterwards. It's 9 hours later and I'm still full, and I feel like I weigh approximately 300 pounds. Which I very well may. I need to seriously cut my caloric intake for a while.

Tomorrow I leave this old house on Ravenscroft and head across the river to the Crowne Plaza, where the conference is taking place (it starts tomorrow night with a wine and cheese). As long as the hotel bar serves local beer, I'll be happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home