tgtravels

This is a blog about my travels. My "regular" life is much too boring to bother blogging about.

Monday, June 02, 2008

So it's almost go time, and I'm starting to have that nervous/apprehensive/freaked out feeling I always get before I set off on extended travels. Eeeeek! Tonight I began the packing process. It looks as though my backpack will be half clothes, half miscellaneous other stuff, which is unusual for me. I usually bring as little miscellaneous stuff other as possible, because it's almost easier (and cheaper) to buy things on location once you get there (case in point: the preposterous $5 rain poncho I bought in Costa Rica). So this trip is a little different. For example, I am bringing bug dope from here, largely because I'd read that the stuff most commonly available in Moz. isn't especially good (I'm curious - does that mean it's too weak, or that it's 100% DEET and will make my skin melt?).

There is still a lot of stuff left to buy, so I'm making a trip to Canadian Tire at Wonderland and Southdale tomorrow (really, a gigantic excuse to eat Colombian concoctions at La Tienda). There is additional strip mall dystopia around there so I can pick up whatever I can't get at Crappy Tire close by. I need the following:

-A Leatherman Tool, because I am a real man who kills snakes with my bare hands, skins them with my Leatherman and then turns them into a fine pair of boots. Swiss Army knives are for girly men.
-String, which I will offer to corrupt police officers asking for bribes.
-A flashlight, preferably lighthouse-strength.
-Thumb tacks, because you'd be surprised by how much one can do with thumb tacks.
-Ziploc bags, which will be used to smuggle contraband back to Canada.

I am thinking about maybe buying a lightweight belt, preferably one I won't have to remove when I go through metal detectors. Maybe I'll just lash a rope around my pants, because that is what REAL men who use Leatherman Tools do. I also thought about buying a hat to protect to my rapidly balding head from the tropical sun, but I couldn't find what I was looking for and will tempt sun stroke instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home